GENEVA INTERNATIONAL MOTOR SHOW – March 06, 2017 – – Today, HARMAN International Industries, Incorporated (NYSE: HAR), the premier connected technologies company for automotive, consumer, entertainment and enterprise markets, is showcasing its latest car audio solutions at the 2017 Geneva International Motor Show. These include the European debut of the new version of one of HARMAN’s breakthrough, next-generation audio platforms – HARMAN SUMMIT Next smart audio.
Signaling a paradigm shift in personal mobility, the arrival of the autonomous car means that drivers will soon be liberated from the task of controlling their vehicles. The in-car environment will thus become all the more vital to every journey. The car of the future will be a fully functional mobile office, living room, and movie theatre and, as consumer requirements evolve, there will be dramatic changes to features and space.
Innovation in audio and acoustics will undoubtedly play a major role in the new in-car environment, and with technology set to deliver much more than simply listening to music or a podcast on the go, this emerging era in automotive presents exciting opportunities for HARMAN. Leveraging its 60-plus years of leadership in lifestyle audio, connected car and professional audio industries, HARMAN is already elevating connected lifestyles though personalized, intelligent and innovative solutions.
HARMAN SUMMIT Next: An Elevated Experience for Luxury
HARMAN’s SUMMIT Next platform is a major example of the way in which smart audio is reinventing the in-car experience. Without the physical requirement to drive, the system’s Ambisonics Escape function can metaphorically whisk passengers away from busy traffic, giving them a more serene frame of mind. Using a 360-degree sound field, the system sonically recreates real-world environments, allowing passengers to listen to the sound of the ocean lapping at the beach or the wind rustling through the leaves of a forest.
Using the same principles, the system can improve productivity through in-car conferencing technology that matches conference audio with the video location of participants, giving the sensation of being in a real meeting room. It also incorporates in-car theatre, combining HARMAN’s QuantumLogic Immersion professional movie theatre audio processing with segment-leading video, to bring passengers closer than ever before to a real movie experience.
Many SUMMIT features are available for implementation already today. Marking the next chapter of HARMAN’s highly innovative SUMMIT car audio platform, the SUMMIT Next platform builds on these, positioning the car as the new centre for entertainment and productivity and offering never-before-seen experiences such as:
- Inviting the outside in with Ambisonics Escape – Advanced acoustic processing transforms a vehicle into a personal sanctuary by transporting drivers to their choice of serene natural surroundings through their audio system. Ambisonics Escape sonically recreates real environments such as the beach, a forest, waterfalls and more via a full 360-degree sound field.
- Elevating the commute through a Dynamic Sound Stage (DSS) – A responsive spatial soundstage quite literally connects the music to the drive – following curves in the road similar to adaptive headlights, compressing the soundstage through tunnels, and even moving slightly behind the driver in response to acceleration. The result is a listening experience that is as varied and engaging as the journey itself.
- Bringing group calls to life with In-Car Conferencing – Advanced signal processing spatially renders the audio from in-car calls to match virtual locations in a futuristic conferencing experience, providing the sensation of being in a real meeting room -- all from the comfort and privacy of the vehicle cabin.
- Activating the senses with In-Car Theatre – The most theatre-like viewing experience ever achieved in a vehicle combines HARMAN’s QuantumLogic Immersion professional movie theatre audio processing with segment leading video to bring passengers closer than ever before to the excitement and power of a real movie experience.
Presenting a host of fascinating opportunities for automakers, and with capabilities unmatched in the automotive segment, HARMAN SUMMIT Next smart audio delivers completely new multi-sensory experiences designed for the new generation of luxury vehicle buyers.
HARMAN at the 2017 Geneva International Motor Show
Visit the HARMAN showcase during the 2017 Geneva International Motor Show for demonstrations of the company’s full portfolio of car audio and connected car solutions that enable the connected life. The HARMAN showcase is located at the Rinspeed booth number 6240 in hall 6.
Follow HARMAN online during the show:
- Enjoy more HARMAN updates at the HARMAN Newsroom
- Like HARMAN on Facebook
- Check out our YouTube Channel
- Follow HARMAN on Twitter @Harman and @HarmanTech
- View us on Instagram
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds
HARMAN (harman.com) designs and engineers connected products and solutions for automakers, consumers, and enterprises worldwide, including connected car systems, audio and visual products, enterprise automation solutions; and connected services. With leading brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL®, Lexicon®, Mark Levinson® and Revel®, HARMAN is admired by audiophiles, musicians and the entertainment venues where they perform around the world. More than 25 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with HARMAN audio and connected car systems. The Company’s software services power billions of mobile devices and systems that are connected, integrated and secure across all platforms, from work and home to car and mobile. HARMAN has a workforce of approximately 30,000 people across the Americas, Europe, and Asia and reported sales of $7.2 billion during the last 12 months ended December 31, 2016. The Company’s shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol NYSE:HAR.
© 2016 HARMAN International Industries, Incorporated. All rights reserved. Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon and Mark Levinson are trademarks of HARMAN International Industries, Incorporated, registered in the United States and/or other countries. AKG is a trademark of AKG Acoustics GmbH, registered in the United States and/or other countries. Features, specifications and appearance are subject to change without notice.