GENEVA INTERNATIONAL MOTOR SHOW – March 7, 2017 – HARMAN International (NYSE: HAR), the premier connected technologies company for automotive, consumer and enterprise markets, is demonstrating at Geneva International Motor Show 2017 in the newest Rinspeed concept car, Oasis, its suite of solutions that make the autonomous driving experience intelligent, safe and intuitive. A series of distinct modes and an innovative sound system reinvent the in-vehicle user experience by reflecting consumer lifestyle and humanizing the autonomous car.
Leveraging the HARMAN LIVS suite of technologies (Life-Enhancing Intelligent Vehicle Solution), the Oasis offers a glimpse at the future of autonomous driving and how advanced, holistic vehicle intelligence will transform the driving experience. Recognizing the many user modes enabled through autonomous vehicles – from work and play, to car sharing and social connectivity – HARMAN engineers have partnered across the industry to enable an intelligent, adaptable and personal suite of solutions in the concept car.
“When it comes to the future of automotive technology, HARMAN is in a league of its own with a deep competence in software across mobility, cloud, and analytics domains,” said Ricky Hudi, Founder and Managing Director, Future Mobility Technologies. “As a supplier and partner, HARMAN is enabling more personalized, connected and autonomous driving experiences, all of which are captured in the Rinspeed Oasis.”
HARMAN’s vision for the autonomous vehicle user experience includes a series of modes and systems that elevate both the autonomous and manual driving experience, including how the vehicle interacts with drivers and passengers during their time in the vehicle – from autonomous driving to re-engaging drivers upon arrival at a destination. Oasis is also highly connected, with IoT integration that offers home-to-car transfers of preferences, and a suite of connected services such as car sharing, social media integration, weather, parking and reservations supported by the HARMAN automotive cloud platform. HARMAN’s state-of-the-art camera-based Advanced Driver Assistance Systems monitor, record and assess the surroundings of the vehicle to round out a driving experience with enhanced safety features.
The revolutionary vehicle also features a number of industry-firsts, including:
- Full Windshield Heads-Up Display: Oasis utilizes the full windshield to project navigation prompts and other information to the driver, while also simultaneously projecting entertainment or information to the passenger.
- Autonomous Drive Readiness Check – Handover to Manual: One of the most critical concerns of autonomous vehicles is how to ensure the transition between autonomous mode and manual mode is handled seamlessly. HARMAN’s solution combines haptic feedback, eye gaze tracking, and the driver’s cognititive load readiness through pupil monitoring, to ensure that that the driver is truly engaged and able to safely take control of the steering wheel.
- Augmented Reality Concierge: This solution addresses the need to support increased productivity in the car while minimizing distraction. Using the HARMAN compute platform, a voice-controlled virtual assistant functions as a concierge, automatically suggesting and displaying personalized points of interest while enabling advanced in-vehicle productivity to join conference calls, update calendars and more. Through Skype connectivity, the system can even translate telephone conversations – in real time -- with colleagues speaking different languages.
- Predictive Collision Prevention: V2X (vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure) technologies detect objects on a collison course and offer corrective action.
- Intelligent E-Mirrors: Mirrors that are automatically activated/dimmed based on user gaze.
With more than 5,600 patents in all key domains, including safety, design, navigation, connectivity, networking, HMI and more, HARMAN continues to push the boundaries bringing connected car innovations to market that enable new connected experiences, improve driver safety and increase vehicle security.
In addition to being a testimonial for HARMAN’s Connected Car vision, the Oasis is also a prime example for HARMAN’s car audio prowess. The car’s Harman Kardon sound system boast a total of 45 speakers with a 24-channel DSP setup and 6 mini amplifiers delivering 400 watts of output. Welcome, warning, ambience, and good-bye sounds as well as acoustic feedback on basic controls of the system (klick, scroll sounds, and audio feedback on gestures used) are provided with spatial effects. The sound tuning of the Oasis adjusts to the position of the seat, e.g. whether it is in an upright position or pushed back. In addition, the sound tuning will adapt to the current playlist volume controls via gestures. Furthermore, it uses eye-tracking to allow the sweet spot to follow the passenger depending on where he is sitting, meaning that the adaptive sound tuning will react to where the head is positioned.
HARMAN at the Geneva Motor Show 2017
Visit the HARMAN showcase during the Geneva Motor Show 2017 for demonstrations of the company’s full portfolio of connected car and lifestyle audio systems that enable the connected life. The HARMAN showcase is located at the Rinspeed booth Nr. 6240 in hall 6.
HARMAN (harman.com) designs and engineers connected products and solutions for automakers, consumers, and enterprises worldwide, including connected car systems, audio and visual products, enterprise automation solutions; and connected services. With leading brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL®, Lexicon®, Mark Levinson® and Revel®, HARMAN is admired by audiophiles, musicians and the entertainment venues where they perform around the world. More than 25 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with HARMAN audio and connected car systems. The Company’s software services power billions of mobile devices and systems that are connected, integrated and secure across all platforms, from work and home to car and mobile. HARMAN has a workforce of approximately 30,000 people across the Americas, Europe, and Asia and reported sales of $7.2 billion during the 12 months ended December 31, 2016. The Company’s shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol NYSE:HAR.
© 2017 HARMAN International Industries, Incorporated. All rights reserved. Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon and Mark Levinson are trademarks of HARMAN International Industries, Incorporated, registered in the United States and/or other countries. AKG is a trademark of AKG Acoustics GmbH, registered in the United States and/or other countries. Features, specifications and appearance are subject to change without notice.